Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Nikko, Nikko, Nikko. It's all about Nikko.

So it was my first last day in Tokyo. I won't be back until next week - and I'll be staying in another hostel closer to Akihabara. 
Goodbyes are bittersweet, except at 5:15am. 

Here's my rail itinerary for the morning. I wanted to get to Nikko before the crowds, which actually come pretty early. 

I prepared for my journey the prior day by getting a peanut butter sandwich!! Woot!
So tasty and fluffy!
and unfortunately nothing but emergen-c water to wash it down. 
I'm pretty exhausted because, although there were signs posted to the contrary, a dude was loudly chatting up my neighbor at 1am.  I had to ask him to move the conversation to the lounge. Thankfully he obliged. 
Despite the recline position, I could not sleep on the Shinkansen. :-/
So I decided that the better way to handle it would be to caffeinate myself. 


Welcome to Nikko!!!
Here's the view from the Nikko train station. The hike to my hostel, Nikkorisou, is close to 30min and it's a slight grade, too, but good news, it's not enough to make your calves burn. 
A serene water feature I randomly saw on my way to the hostel. 

Welcome to Nikkorisou Hostel!! This hostel is super close to the World Heritage sites of Nikko. 




This bridge is a major feature of Nikko. It costs 300yen to cross. But why cross it when the better view is of it?!

Entryway to the World Heritage Sites of Nikko. 

I walked up these stairs thinking I was going the correct way, but nope, these stairs only led down again to the road I just left. Oh yeah, and the stair workout has just begun!!

These pretty orchid looking guys were just hanging on the retention wall, just waiting to have their picture taken. 

Uhm, isn't this the coolest fountain you've ever seen?!?! No? Ugh. I don't know what to say to you. It's like I don't know you anymore. 

I think this guy was watching over the cool dragon fountain. 

At 8am in the morning, it was pretty just me and like 4 bus loads of Japanese school children. This will be a theme for me at Nikko!!

Stay tuned for more Nikko postings. There's too much for one entry!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment